Thursday 17 March 2011

Chocolate and Banana Cake

I'm still on the hunt for a banana cake recipe that actually works. I think I may have found one though...

Here's the latest attempt! I've made two so far using this recipe and BOTH have worked. No soggy mass in the middle, no burnt crust, hurrah!

I'm guessing (I can't quite remember) that it was in a sainsbury's magazine or recipe book or something. I photographed the page to see if the recipe worked. Here it is.

  • 175g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
  • 125g unsalted butter, melted
  • 150g golden caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 275g very ripe bananas (weighed without skin: approx 3 small bananas), mashed
  • 150g dark chocolate, chopped (the recipe said cut into 1/2cm chunks but I used about a third of that amount, and chopped it very finely because Ben doesn't like big lumps of chocolate in his cake. He likes the flavour though.)

  1. Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan) Gas 4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and bicarb.
  3. In a large bowl, beat together the melted butter and caster sugar until blended. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the vanilla extract and banana.
  4. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing well after each addition, then stir through the chopped chocolate. Pour into the loaf tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour. When it's cooked a skewer (or knife) inserted into the centre should come out clean, apart from melted chocolate. Leave in the tin to cool.
(NB I don't trust my oven, so I cooked it at 170C or so for an hour then turned the temp down to 160C for another half an hour. It was cooked by then. The previous cake I cooked at 180C for an hour and it wasn't cooked in the middle, and the top was crunchy so the temp got turned down for another half hour again.)

No comments: